Monday, July 27, 2009

Baking Soda

Since the day I scrubbed my bathroom with bleach and a toothbrush while I was 9 months pregnant, I vowed to NEVER use toxic chemicals in my household cleaning again. My bathroom was not well ventilated and I was very light-headed and queasy for hours. Some of that might had to do with me scrubbing for 3 hours with 25 lbs of baby attached to me, but I blame the bleach.

After that day I threw out my Spray-Away glass cleaner, my 409, Comet, and anything else that could possibly threaten me or my child with the word CANCER.
A lot of people know the tricks of using vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to clean bacteria off of counters and toilets, but my dilemma hit with SCRUBBING. I started using Oxy-clean to avoid products like Comet. I quickly learned this was no good either. I was having the same inner turmoil with Oxy-clean. Then I came cross baking soda! THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING!
I have SCRUBBED the grim off of my bath tub, my vinyl floors (great for small artsy grooves that a mop can't get), sinks, and my favorite, THE ELECTRIC STOVE EYE DRIP PANS! I have never in my life ever been able to get those clean.
Here are my baking soda tricks:
Vinyl floors
1. Using a spray bottle, spray down your floors with vinegar and mop as usual.
2. Using a sponge, scrub the floor with baking soda on any rough places. Do the whole floor if you are in super-clean-it-all mode.
3. Re-spray the entire floor with vinegar. Your floor should bubble a little. Let it sit for a few minutes.
4. Come back with a mop and clean up the baking soda and vinegar solution.
5. If you find there is still a small gritty film, a damp towel across the floor works well.

Stained aluminum sinks
Using a sponge, scrub like crazy with baking soda and let it sit. Then rinse with water.

Electric stove drip pans
1. Spray pans with vinegar, let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Liberally sprinkle pans with baking soda and let the pans sit over night.
3. Next day use a sponge to scrub the grime and burned on pieces away. It also does a stellar job removing grease stains.

Carpet stains (great for pets, wine, and milk)
1. Sop up all offensive liquid with a dry towel.
2. Saturate carpet with vinegar.
3. Sop up excess vinegar with a dry towel.
4. Sprinkle baking soda on top of vinegar and let sit until the baking soda dries. This could take 2 or 3 days. But if your dog or child touches it, no big deal, IT'S NOT TOXIC!
5. Vaccuum up baking soda. Use half water and half vinegar and a fresh towel to loosen any stuck on baking soda.

Now your carpet is nice and clean free of stain and odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment